THE DRINKING ESTABLISHMENTS OF WOODNEWTON
The White Swan has been the only public house in Woodnewton since the 1960’s but for around 130 years four establishments had provided sustenance to the locals; two other pubs and one beer house.
When the first Public House opened the population of Woodnewton was around 268. It continued to rise and peaked at 529 in 1861. Presumably this was the reason for the opening of more outlets during the ensuing decades. However, by the turn of the 20th century the population was back down to 271.