The 1851 census records a William Firmeadow (Furmelow, Femelow and Firmilows) living at this address, which was along Fotheringhay Road (at the entrance to Stone Pit). As his surname shows several different spellings suggests that he was unlettered. The records show that he was a beer seller, so the Oak was not licensed as a Public House. The Oak remained in the Firmedow family, passing to Thomas in 1885, upon the death of William’s wife Mary.
A newspaper cutting from the Northampton Mercury, dated 1st May 1908 shows that Thomas Firmedows was the Licensee but the owner of the property was Elizabeth, Louisa White of London.
Thomas died in 1928 at the age of 86 years. There are also different spelling of Thomas’ surname too; Firmilow and Firmilows.
The 1960 Electoral Roll lists an Akred family as living at the Oaks, but was this at one of the houses alongside, as all the properties had the same address? Can anyone help with the fact as to when the Oak stopped selling beer please?