The property we now know as Conegar Farm, which is situated on the Willowbrook at the west end of the village, was previously shown as Coney Garth on the 1778 Tithe Map, hence the modern interpretation of the name. Throughout the 1800’s the building was known as the Mill, but the name was changed during the early part of the 20th century.
Although this mill was also shown on the 1640 map, it would not have been the same building as before, because the door jambs of the present house are incised with the dates of * 1732, 1733 and 1737*, which indicates that it is a later build.
The Tithe records show that Robert Hale was the tenant of the mill at the time, but when the first census came out in 1841, a new tenant, Mr Joseph Needham, was shown at the address. He is recorded as still being at the mill until he died in 1860, when his family moved to another property in the village.
James Chowns became the next miller and was living with his family at the address when the 1871 census was taken. However, James Chowns had left the property by 1881 as John Gest was the name of the miller in that census.
Sydney Spademan, who we know was the last miller, arrived sometime during 1890 from Kings Cliffe, and after giving up milling in 1906 gave his land over to market gardening which he continued until his retirement.
On the left shows the ford in front of the mill and on the righthand side, this picture is the scene after the new bridge was built in 1934.
Before the next tenant, Alfred Whittaker, arrived in 1937, Lord Brassey arranged for the mill and house to be combined into one unit * and the mill apparatus was dismantled. Alfred farmed the land until his death in 1972.
After that time, the property and land ceased to be used as a farm and Simon, the present owner, moved into the house in 1975 and then purchased the property from Lord Brassey five years later. The northwest elevation of the building was extended in 1983 and more recently a further extension was completed in 2002.
(* An Inventory of architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire)
2021
