The organ in the parish church of St. Mary’s Woodnewton was installed by Harrison and Harrison, the famous organ builders of Durham in 1915 at a cost of around £360, which was paid for by Lord Brassey.   Delivery was later than planned; the company blaming this on the effect of the war!

For such a small organ, it has a marvellous sound, and can be used for music of all periods if selections are made carefully. As a result it is very highly regarded in musical circles, and used extensively by Oundle for Organists in the training of some of the best young organists in the country ,as well as being visited from time to time by young organists from all over the world.

The organ has two manuals (keyboards) called Great and Swell, and a pedal section to be played by the feet. The top manual (the Swell) has its pipes enclosed by a box with wooden shutters so that the sound level can be controlled. There are eight sets of pipes called stops which are selected by the small knobs each side of the console, and the specification is as follows:

Great

Double Salicional 16

Open Diapason 8

Claribel Flute 8

Octave 4

Swell

Violin diapason 8

Lieblich Flute 4

Cornopean 8

Swell Octave 

Pedal

Sub Brass 16

Harrison and Harrison archives contain three design drawings for the organ produced on 13th February 1914

Note pews in front of organ and Vestry to the East

New Organ Chamber

In December 1937, an electric blowing system was added to the organ. Prior to this the organ had of course to be hand blown with a single pump handle. Young men from the village were used for this purpose and several put their signatures on the woodwork at the rear of the organ including two members of the Pridmore family, that name from which the ‘Close’ is called. The hand pump is still useable, and in recent years at recitals we usually have one of the pieces in the programme played while the organ is hand pumped.

On 1st March 1968, it was recorded that rampant woodworm was discovered in the organ box, it was necessary to immediately strip the organ right down or face a spread of the infestation throughout the church.  Fortunately the organ was deemed worthy of the expense, which was £250.

On Saturday 24th February 2015, the 100th Anniversary Organ Recital was played by Alexander Eadon from Oundle School who played 9 pieces including Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in d minor and the Widor Toccata.

Unfortunately, in 2019, water entered the organ chamber during a period of very heavy rain. The organ was saturated and now needs a restoration costing over £20,000 pounds.

Update

The organ was dismantled by Malcolm Spink and  Co. who have been looking after  it since 1916, and after months of work, which included drying out the casing and pipes, the organ was re-built and tuned and was back in service by the end of 2021.  The first service that the organ was in use was the 9.30 a,m., Sung Holy Communion Service on Sunday, 4th December, with John Miley at the console who played  “Noel” by Louis Claude d’Aquin (1694-1772) to demonstrate the  restored organ ton