We know from Parish Registers that the ‘Wades’ are recorded as living in Woodnewton from as early as 1606, but the 1871 census is the first acknowledgement to a Wade living again in Woodnewton. This was Charles Wade who is listed as living in Town Street (now Main Street), having been born in Kings Cliffe in January 1837. His occupation in this census states that he was a baker.
Charles married Anne Wilson from Nassington in 1872 and brought his bride back to the property that was known as the Bake House. Charles Henry Wade (later known in the village as Harry or Doughy Wade) was born in Woodnewton in 1876 and baptised on 11 June 1876. He was their second son; John, his sibling was born in 1873. .
The Bake House still stands today and is the garage (end on to the street, date-stone inscribed 1684), which is in the property of Rosedene, Main Street. This was two cottages and Harry lived with his family in the left hand side. Harry never married and after his parent’s death, he lived alone until his death in June 1948.
Harry followed in his father’s footsteps and became the village baker. One resident can remember as a youngster that when they passed the Bake House, on their way to school, he would hand out freshly baked rolls or buns which were delicious. He was not only a good baker but also he was competent at sewing and knitting because he can be remembered for making his own shirts and jumpers.
Church records reveal that Harry served as a Churchwarden in St Mary’s Church.
It is also remembered that Harry provided a service where village housewives could take their Yorkshire Puddings and Sunday roast or Cakes for baking in his ovens. Mr Wade delivered bread on his bike.
The garden to his property included where number twenty stands in Main Street now, and went all the way through to Back Lane (now Orchard Lane). The original planning application for 9 dwellings was put to East Northants Council on 13 May 1963. We know that Harry Wade’s Estate was left to John Gibbons Bosworth, a local farmer, in July 1948. Harry’s cottage together with the other part was sold at the beginning of the 1950’s and the purchaser then later sold on the land behind the property to a builder.
A resident can recall that it would be early 1970’s that work began and a road constructed, however no houses were built and it was left in an abandoned state for several years. The builders’ caravan was left on the site for at least three years and was gradually vandalised by children. Another planning application was put in in 1973 and work began in 1977/78 and the first resident moved into number one Wades Close in 1978. Number seven Wades Close was the last to be completed.
2014
